Sunrun Creative Media Award
February 3, 2016
Facing a growing competitive landscape, including Elon Musk’s Solar City, and an expiring tax incentive, Sunrun needed to emerge in 2015 as a leader of the solar industry.
Drafting off the creative strategy of “solar for the rest of us,” media needed to drive broad awareness and consideration of Sunrun as the company who is making solar accessible. But, we also needed to be efficient, reaching homeowners in serviceable areas at times when their high (and frustrating) electric bills were top of mind.
After evaluating our target’s media habits in our twelve markets, we leveraged a mix of TV, Radio, OOH and Digital during the months when electric bills were highest in each market.
- Addressable television allowed us to target Sunrun serviceable zip codes and layer on age, homeownership, FICO scores and HHI to reach the most qualified audience
- Premium inventory (e.g. sports) and contextual sponsorships (e.g. HGTV) elevated the brand in fixed TV
- DRTV and Radio drove reach and frequency efficiently
- Spoke to the different local markets with dynamic DJ live reads in Radio
- Played into local nuances by buying boards in heavy commuter areas to catch people while they were stuck in their car or train
- Ran billboards near home improvement and hardware retailers to hit people who were likely interested in home improvement projects
- Focused on locations where the average HHI was in our target, and away from city centers where homeownership was low
- Ran hyper-targeted digital video, while mimicking the “lean back” environment of TV to reach cord shavers
We exceeded our two core goals:
- Emerged as a leading contender
- Brand Awareness tripled
- Got people to raise their hands
- We achieved a 38.8% lift in leads over baseline (our goal was 13.8%)
Results that outshined our expectations!